Westinghouse is recalling approximately 7,000 ceiling fans, as it has been determined that the two 60-watt light bulbs included with the ceiling fans exceed the fan’s maximum wattage, which can cause the ceiling fans to overheat or fail.
The ceiling fans with 24, 30 and 42-inch diameter blades are included in this recall, with “Westinghouse” printed on the fan’s ceiling canopy. The following item numbers, printed on the fan’s motor housing, are affected by the recall:
- 72243 24-inch ceiling fan gun metal finish with opal-frosted light kit 6 blades (black/graphite color)
- 78631 24-inch ceiling fan chrome finish with opal-frosted light kit 6 blades (dark wood/beech color)
- 72245 30-inch ceiling fan espresso finish with opal-frosted light kit 3 blades (espresso/dark cherry color)
- 78763 30-inch ceiling fan chrome finish with opal-frosted light kit 3 blades (dark wood/beech color)
- 78764 42-inch ceiling fan gun metal finish with opal-frosted light kit 3 blades (black/graphite color)
The fans, manufactured in China, were sold from January 2011 through January 2012 for between $135 and $150. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ceiling fans and contact Westinghouse Lighting for two free replacement 40-watt light bulbs….or to expedite matters, go to the store and buy two replacement bulbs.