According to reports submitted to the U.S FDA, in the past year, Monster Energy Drinks has been linked to the deaths of five people. Each of the five people, as well as a sixth person in 2009, were reported to have consumed Monster drinks prior to their death. According to the FDA, no conclusions are drawn until an investigation is completed, making these mere allegations.
The parents of a 14 year old girl, who died after consuming two Monster drinks, have named Monster Beverage Corp in a lawsuit filed last week in California. The suit alleges that the drinks led to caffeine toxicity, causing cardiac arrhythmia, and resulted in the girl’s death.
Monster is the largest U.S. energy drink maker by sales volume, and claims that over the past sixteen years, they have sold more than 8 billion energy drinks worldwide, which have been safely consumed. Monster claims to be unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks, which includes not being responsible for the death of the 14 year old girl.
Monster and other such energy drinks aren’t currently bound by the FDA guidelines for caffeine in sods, because they are often sold as dietary supplements. The FDA reports though, that they are working on draft guidelines that would ensure energy drinks are safe.
I would think the families of these victims feel it’s too little, too late to be “working” on such guidelines.