It has been determined that the threaded end of the rack rod ball joint can break and the ball joint can become displaced, causing the driver to lose steering control and result in a crash.
While there have been no reports of injury, the company is aware of 71 reports of the ball joint breaking, 13 of which resulted in the ball joint displacing.
The recalled vehicles are gas- and electric-powered, four-wheeled vehicles with bench seats for the driver and passengers. The following models are included:
- E-Z-GO TXT Fleet golf cars, Serial Number: 2748187 thru 2770316
- E-Z-GO Freedom TXT golf cars, Serial Number: 2748187 thru 2770316
- E-Z-GO TXT shuttle vehicles, Serial Number: 2748187 thru 2770316
- Cushman Bellhop shuttle vehicles, Serial Number: 2748187 thru 2770316
- E-Z-GO ST utility vehicles, Serial Number: 2748187 thru 2770316
- Bad Boy Buggies HD, LD and LTO utility vehicles, Serial Number: 8000035 thru 8002809
The brand and model names are printed on the side and front panels of the vehicles. Serial numbers are printed on a plate or label located on the exterior of the vehicle below the driver’s seat.
The recalled products were sold at E-Z-GO and Bad Boy dealers nationwide, from February 2011 through July 2011. They retailed between $6,650 and $10,650.
Consumers are being instructed to immediately stop using the recalled vehicles and contact E-Z-GO or an authorized dealer for a free repair. E-Z-GO and E-Z-GO dealers are contacting known owners.