The recall comes after having received twenty-one (21) reports of injuries. The CPSC is warning that the pegs on the rear legs of the chair could cause bruising or laceration if a child falls on or against them. The injuries include bruising and lacerations, and one incident report of a scratched cornea.
The recalled Chicco Polly High Chairs were sold at retail stores including Babies R Us, Burlington Coat Factory, Buy Buy Baby, Shopko, and Toys R Us, as well as online outlets including Albeebaby.com, Amazon.com, Babyage.com, Babysupermart.com, Diapers.com and Target.com from January 2005 through July 2012. The chairs can be identified by the model number and date code printed on a label on the underside of the seat, close to the footrest. The date code is in the format DDMMYYYY or YYYY-MM-DD. If manufactured prior to October 13, 2010, it will have one of the following model numbers on the label:
- 00063803430070; 05063803260070; 00063803480070; 05063803270070;
- 00063803490070; 05063803570070; 00063803580070; 05063803660070;
- 04063765000070; 05063803970070; 04063765540070; 06063765650070;
- 04063765760070; 06063765970070; 04063803630070; 06063803650070;
- 04063803860070; 06063803770070; 04063803900070; 06063803820070;
- 05063765020070; 06063803960070; 05063803020070; 06063803970070;
- 05063803220070; 07063803780070
Consumer are being instructed to stop using the high chairs immediately and contact Chicco to have a free peg cover kit mailed to them. In the meantime, they are instructed to store the tray on the pegs. Chicco can be contacted at (800) 807-8817 between 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit its website.